Saturday, January 9, 2010

journey to the outer islands - XOXOII

Within a few days we found ourselves with more than passable furniture for the interior of the home. Carlo and I had two beds each because Rogers, who had never spent a night in a building with a floor before, felt (he said) ‘mos’ peculiar’ about doing so at his advanced and, frankly, ancient age.

Nevertheless, we were comfortable in our home, and Rogers was, in his way, comfortable in the blinding sleet that fell for many days outside where he lay, weeping.

‘Now, Rogers,’ I quoth, ‘we must cook some food, to eat.’

‘I’ll fetch Cook, ma’am,’ he volunteered, and up and left. I was most amused, of course, as we had left Cook at home, and there was really only he and I. He was gone some hours, and returned jubilant. ‘Cook says dinner will be ready at five, ma’am.’ He made to exit.

‘Where are you going, Rogers?’

‘Going to kill me’sel’, for lyin’ to ye, ma’am,’ he cheerfully volunteered.

Rogers, don’t be silly. If you go, who is left to look after me? We’ll have to cook our own food, in the kitchen.’

No comments:

Post a Comment